P1 AquaX revises 2020 Race Calendar as a result of Corona virus
OFFICIAL MEDIA RELEASE: April 1, 2020
Organizers of Thunder On Cocoa Beach, originally scheduled for the weekend of May 15-17, have postponed the event until August 27-30. This decision was made earlier than planned as a result of the recent guideline updates issued by The Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) and a discussion with Port Canaveral authorities. Race Chairman, Kerry Bartlett explained: “Our entire race committee remained optimistic that our event, featuring both powerboat and PWC racing, could go ahead as scheduled, but right now we are dealing with a situation that is out of our control and changing daily. Safety is our number one concern, and we are confident that Thunder On Cocoa Beach will be bigger than ever in August.”
Powerboat P1 CEO, Azam Rangoonwala, expressed his full understanding of the need for race site promoters to seriously consider postponing their scheduled events to allow sufficient recovery time from the Coronavirus pandemic.
P1 AquaX has already announced that its race weekend in Daytona Beach, originally scheduled to be the season opener on April 18 -19, will move to September 19-20 and the Tavares event on May 2 has been cancelled.
“Together with local organisers, bodies and partners, we are adhering to guidelines drawn up by The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and safety remains our number one concern. We are dealing with a situation that is out of our control and changing almost daily,” said Michelle Petro, USA Championship Manager.
P1 will continue to closely monitor the situation and act on daily information from official health authorities at both a local and nation level.
For updates on this year’s P1 AquaX race schedule visit: p1aquax.com
RELEASE CONTACT: Roy Mantle – P1 AquaX Press Officer / rmantle@powerboatP1.com